Buckingham Palace Confirms Queen’s visit to Normandy in June

SwordBeachIt has been officially confirmed that The Queen will be attending the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings in Normandy this summer.

Although it has been reported that Britain’s monarch was expected to attend it is only now that Buckingham Palace has made the announced.

She will be accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh as part of a State visit to France from 05 to 07 June at the invitation of the French President Francois Hollande.

‘On 06 June The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend events in Normandy to commemorate the 70th anniversary of the Normandy landings. On 06 and 07 June Her Majesty and His Royal Highness will attend State Visit events in Paris and be received at the Elysee Palace by President Hollande,’ the official statement said.

The Queen will guest of honour at the ceremony on Sword beach, a five mile stretch from Ouistreham to Saint-Aubin-sur-Mer, where the British 3rd Infantry Division went ashore in June 1944.

So far some 16 heads of state have been invited to attend the 70th anniversary commemorations including US President Barack Obama, British Prime Minister David Cameron, and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

It will be the first time that the Queen has attended the D-Day anniversary events for 10 years and it may be the last given her age and the fact that she has scaled back on foreign trips and allocated more events to younger members of the royal family.

In 1944, aged just 18, The Queen, who was then Princess Elizabeth, was famously pictured visiting British parachutists on the eve of the D-Day landings.

A French ministry spokesman said that Sword beach was chosen for the royal visit to ‘salute the British commitment during the Normandy landings and (their) determination throughout the conflict’.

It has been reported that France will be spending the equivalent of around €7 million on the Normandy commemorations, probably the last major event to be attended by veterans from around the world due to the age of those who are still alive.

There will also be major events in France to mark the 100th anniversary of the start of the First World War and invitations have been sent to dignitaries from a record 72 countries involved in the Great War to take part in the annual Bastille Day military parade in July.

Related Images:

About Ray Clancy

Ray Clancy has 20 years experience in journalism including contributing articles to print and on-line publications such as PropertyWire.com, Property World Middle East and websites for estate agents. She has also written for the Daily Telegraph and Mail on Sunday.

%d bloggers like this: